Fashion moves at a lightning pace, and every season has a new wave of stand out trends. While it’s great to get style inspiration from the runway, there’s nothing like wearing the hip looks yourself. We’ve created the M&J Trimming Fashion Trend DIY Guide to share the highlights of each season and ways to make them yours without breaking the bank. This bi-annual review will feature the runway’s hottest trends, the designers and details that really stick out, and DIY fashion projects to create your own pieces.
For the Fall/Winter line-up, the biggest fashion trends in 2017 walked out in sheer ensembles and dark floral. This fall and winter, we’re all about being cozy and romantic-chic. The trends that caught our eye were those flirty details that added a textured accent to a warm ensemble.
Gucci blew us away with their flirtatious details and embroidered extravagance. Never did fall look so fun then the parties happening on the runway look collars. We couldn’t decide which look we liked more, so we have DIY projects for all our favorites.
Floral Collar Accent
We love the simplicity of this look and how easy it is to DIY! M&J has an incredible selection of floral iron-on patches ( this one is perfect! ), and all you need is a collared shirt! Update your office look or add a romantic accent like a silk flower to your favorite button-up for class!
We loved this Gucci look from head to toe, but that collar popping fur trim is just what our old fall coat needed! A detachable fur collar trim is perfect for a quick and easy coat collar upgrade.
Some quick steps:
- Shop our great collection of fur trims to find the perfect accent collar for last winter’s jacket and measure out the length of your pre-existing collar plus two inches.
- Cut your trim and create a nice clean edge by folding and gluing the hand sewing the edges down.
- Sew the hook and eyes, one in the center of the fur trim and one on each side.
Birds of a Feather
Calvin Klein and Marchesa showed us the way to rock feather trim for that wintry soiree this season. From Alexander McQueen’s dark magic dresses to Prada’s fringed skirts and Balenciaga’s love affair with ostrich plumes, feathers just might be the season’s fashion hit.
Feather Fringe sleeve cuffs
Following Marchesa’s lead, we’re adding short feather fringe to our cute short-sleeved dresses this fall for an extra bit of flair. These feather trims in moody dark collars are the perfect accent to a velvety ensemble.
- Sew your feather cuffs to the sleeves with a sewing machine or by hand
- To give your feather trim accent a polished look, sew or glue the layer of velvet ribbon along the edge of the sleeve.
- You’re done and ready to party this holiday season!
Moody Dark Floral
The runway was full of moody dark floral this season, from Gucci’s Russian Doll ensemble to Naeem Khan’s jacquard trim. Brightly colored rosettes on a dark, velvet background are popping up all over the runway.
Dark Floral Belt Cover
We loved how Anna Sui constructed her big floral belts and will show you how to recreate that dark floral feel for a belt you already own! Want an extra challenge? Make your own velvet belt from scratch using our incredible collection of buckles and knots!
- ½ yard of wide Velvet Ribbon
- A strip of interfacing about 3”-4” wide and 36” long (or longer, depending on waist measurement)
- 1 yard darkjacquard ribbon
- Hot glue gun
- A needle and thread
A few quick steps:
- Big belts are perfect to accentuate the waist, so use your waist measurement for this project. Fold your piece of velvet in half, right side in, create a rectangle on the fold that is your waist + 3” by 4 inches wide.
- After you’ve cut out your folded rectangle, iron on the interfacing close to the fold. The interfacing will make the velvet nice and sturdy.
- Using a sewing machine, sew all but one short side closed.
- Turn right side out, and sew up the last edge by hand.
- Now measure out a few velvet loops and center them on the “back” of your velvet panel. There should at least be three, one in the center and two 2” from either side.
- Now measure out your jacquard so that it can wrap 1” around the back of your belt cover and glue it in place and you’re down!
Take your belt and slide it through the loops and you now have a poppy (and rose) wide belt accent to add dramatic shape to your fall wardrobe.
Dazzle ‘em Boots
Chanel and Saint Laurent are leading the pack in glitter high-rise boots. While we would die to strut out in Oscar de la Renta’s Swarovski rosette-encrusted boots, it’s easier than we thought to turn up the retro glam on last year’s pair of suede shoes. We love the look of adding this alluring rhinestone trim to the back seam of our high-rising suede boots, or these Swarovski flat back crystals to your chunky boot heals for a little extra glamor. We also have these cute rosette rhinestones, too, if you’re feeling extra fancy!
Keep checking this page for the latest in DIY Fashion Trends and how-to’s. Always check the M&J Fashion page for the latest off the runway looks and easy ways to make them your own!