Who would have thought these trends make a comeback! Studs on Acid Washed Denim! Gucci this Spring took these popular 80s trends, put them in a blender and out came this:
We thought we’d take this hot trend and turn it into a fun, easy DIY. We love recreating runway looks for those of who you love fashion but don’t want to break the bank. The first thing we did was hunt for the perfect denim jacket – something slightly oversized to match the current trending silhouette. We bought a classic blue Talbots denim jacket and headed back to HQ to get started on the project.
What You’ll Need:
- Denim Jacket
- Assorted Nailheads (Find links to the exact ones we used at the bottom of the page)
- Buttons (Optional)
- Needle and Thread
- Rubber Gloves
- Spray Bottle
Step 1: Remove all the buttons from the jacket. We wanted to replace the plastic buttons on the jacket with cool metal ones. This step is optional. If you like the current buttons on your jacket, skip this step.
Step 2: Fill a spray bottle with bleach. Make sure you wear rubber gloves to protect your skin. We advise that you work in a well-ventilated area when working with bleach. Keeping the bottle about 6 inches from the jacket, start spraying in random sections. Don’t spray too much! You’ll notice the color stripping away. Let it dry and then wash it.
Disclaimer: Bleach strips dye from fabric and sometimes reflects the undertones present in the dye. For example, you might see yellowish or pinkish tinges based on your denim’s original wash/dye.
Step 3: Start attaching the studs. For the studs with prongs, poke it through the fabric and use pliers to bend the prongs inward into the hollow of the stud. For the studs with screws, use a sharp tool (scissors/awl/X-Acto knife) to make a small hole and push the screw in. Then screw the stud onto the screw.
Starting at the shoulder, attach as many studs as you like.
Step 4: Sew on the new metal buttons. Again, this step is optional.
And you’re done! If you wanna buy this jacket go here. Hurry! There’s only one.
Studs used in our project: