The internet is flooding with cute ways to make alternative and modern Christmas trees. So when I came across these metallic trims in our store, I couldn’t help but be inspired to make mini Christmas tree ornaments. With a store like M&J Trimming that carries every craft supply a DIYer could possibly need, this DIY was screaming to be created.
4 yds of 5mm metallic twist cord
Star applique (available in stores) or use this awesome star button
2 pieces of 8×11 cardstock
Flat back swarovski rhinestones (SS20) (optional)
6 inches of wire (not shown)
1. Fold your card paper into a cone shape and tape it. Cut the bottom so that it becomes a flat cone and is no taller than 6 inches.
2. Use the second piece of cardstock to trace a circle with the bottom of the cone.
3. Cut and tape this circle to the bottom of the cone.
4. Stick the top of your cord into the tiny hole at the top of the cone.
5. Add glue all around the cone and begin twisting the cord around the cone leaving no gaps.
6. When you reach the bottom, wrap whatever trim is left onto the bottom of the circle.
7. Let this dry for 10 minutes.
***To hang the ornament, you can use some steel wire for jewelry making or even a piece of a wire hanger. If wire is not available, you can always use any of the metallic cord you may have leftovers of.
8. Fold the wire in half, and stick it into the top hole of the cone. Add some glue to secure it.
9. Glue star onto the top of the tree and if you want something more festive, glue some rhinestones around the tree. Let this dry for a few hours.
You’ve now got some very festive Christmas tree ornaments to add to your Christmas tree! We at M&J are in love with this metallic cord trim…it is too perfect for holiday decorations!