We have such a great selection of Rit dye in our store that we knew it was time we tried it out in a DIY. Of course we couldn’t resist trying out the ombre trend, so we created a pair of ombre tights to prepare for the chilly weather. We chose a light blue pair of tights, and dyed them with navy dye to create a lovely gradient effect. Check it out below!
1. Gather your supplies. You’ll need:
- a bucket
- tights in the color of your choice
- Rit dye in a darker color
- hot water
2. Follow the instructions on your Rit dye package to prepare the dye. You’ll basically need to add about half a gallon of extremely hot water to a bucket, then add the dye and a cup of vinegar. Stir until the dye is dissolved.
3. Wet the tights in hot water , then lower them into the bucket. Make sure you only lower them halfway – you don’t want to dye the entire pair of tights! We chose to dye the top half of our tights, but you can dye the bottom if you prefer.
4. After a few minutes, pull an inch or two out of the dye to start creating the ombre. Pull out another inch or two after another minute. Keep doing this until about 1/4 of the tights are still soaking in the dye, then let it soak for 15 minutes.
5. Remove the tights from the bucket, making sure not to get any dye on the bottom part of the tights. Rinse the tights in cold water, then lay them flat to dry overnight.